Mexican Protein Scramble
I love eggs…well, let’s say that I love what eggs do for the body nutritionally speaking. But let’s get real…eggs can get boring! I am always trying to create new and eggs-cellent recipes! Here is a high protein and delicious twist for your morning eggs. Hope this helps you get out of your egg-rutt (if you are in one)!
This recipe provides a meal that is complete with proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates that are low on the glycemic index (if you or someone you know struggles with diabetes please share this with them)
1 tbsp coconut oil
5 eggs (4 whites, whole egg)
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/4 cup shredded cheese
2 tbsp salsa
small handful cherry tomatoes
small handful fresh cilantro
- Lightly grease skillet with coconut oil.
- Dice onion and cook on medium heat until lightly browned and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Crack 4 eggs into bowl and strain in egg whites, then add one whole egg. Beat. Sprinkle in the cheese. Add salt.
- Cut cheery tomatoes in half and add into bowl. Tear the cilantro leaves into small pieces and put 1/2 into the bowl and leave the remaining half out to be used on top of egg scramble after it is cooked. Add black beans (that have been precooked). Mix and then pour into the flying pan.
- Cook on low heat and using a spatula fold the eggs into each other as is cooks (every minute or two) until cooked thoroughly. Top with salsa and fresh cilantro…serve and enjoy!